Sunday, September 13, 2009

Nice restaurant, 9/11 and the Berlin Wall

TODAY IS MY FAVOURITE DAY!

Yesterday I had dinner at my favourite restaurant. A somewhat old-fashioned place, with brownish-red sofas and chairs, brown wood decorations, dimmed lights, candles, friendly and discrete service and a very relaxed and quiet atmosphere. They may not get stars in "Guide Michelin" but they sure get stars and hearts in "Guide Tomas".

Anyway I enjoyed a glass of Cognac after dinner :o) and began to reflect upon big world-changing events. It is funny I have no clue whatsoever what I did on 9/10, but I remember exactly what I did on 9/11. I was at my desk at Ericsson, working with the their 3G system, when a colleague came up to me with a VERY peculiar look on his face: "Tomas, please open www.cnn.com and tell me what you see. Am I going crazy???" I opened cnn.com and saw the impossible happen: a jetliner crashing into World Trade Center. I distinctly recall the unreal feeling, and the turmoil of questions forming in my head. Word spread around the office and soon we were all gathered in small groups, calling friends and family, asking "What is going on?"

Another event I recall very vividly was the fall of the Berlin wall, soon 20 years ago. At that time I was in Nice, watching the evening news in french. From the pictures and what little french I knew I understood we were watching world history: "They are tearing down the Berlin wall"! No guns fired, no arrests, all peaceful! Two months later, around christmas 1989, the Rumanian dictator Ceausescu was shot. Two more months and me and my then wife ventured into Rumania only to find ourselves in violent Hungaro-Rumanian ethnical riots in the town of Marosvasarhely/Tirgu Mures. But that is another story!

Enjoy a lovely Sun-day and Fun-day.

Carpe Diem
/Tomas

No comments:

Post a Comment